Website Review: The Monastery of Christ in the Desert
A review based on: http://www.christdesert.org
The Monastery of Christ in the Desert, Abiquiu, New Mexico, was founded in 1964 by Fr. Aelred Wall, OSB. The monks follow the Benedictine life with no external apostolates. However, they maintain a guesthouse for private retreats for men and women and also do agricultural work, crafts, maintenance, and computer work.
The site not only provides information on this Monastery, but is also a good resource for information on monasticism in general and the Rule of St. Benedict in particular. There are also good sections on chant, prayer, and the Desert Fathers.
The site as a whole is excellent, the caution only applies to the bookstore where there are some questionable titles.
Review Ratings what do these ratings mean?
First Evaluated: 02/06/2001; Last Updated: 07/19/2012
- Fidelity: Caution
- Resources: Excellent
- Useability: Excellent
- Monastic Spirituality Resources Example(s)
- Section on Chant Resources Example(s)
- Gift shop which includes books, many beautiful icons and other Catholic art, as well as recipes and crafts Resources
- General information about the Monastery Resources
- Daily Martyrology Resources
- Scriptoria Resources
- Section on the angels Resources
- St. Benedict and His Order Resources Example(s)
- Vocational information Resources
- Stories from the Desert Fathers Resources
- Liturgy of the Hours Resource Page Resources
- Fidelity: The gift shop includes questionable books Example(s)
CategoriesCulture > Arts
Institutions > Religious Communities
The Monastery of Christ in the Desert
P.O. Box 270
Abiquiu, New Mexico 87510-0270
NB: All reviews are current as of the Evaluation or Update Date cited above. If you notice that a review contains information that is no longer accurate, please contact us and we will be happy to amend our review.