Catholic Recipe: Dry Bones Cookies
These All Souls' cookies are a Swiss delicacy. Despite their grim name, they have a crunchy texture redolent of almonds and rosewater.
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, and cinnamon until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
2. Add rosewater, 2 1/2 cups of the flour, and salt. Mix. If dough is too sticky, add more flour gradually.
3. On a lightly floured surface, knead in ground almonds. Chill dough overnight.
4. Shape dough into 2 1/2-inch rolls (bones). Brush with egg glaze. Place on lightly greased baking sheet.
5. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet 2 minutes; then cool on a wire rack.
NOTE: Store in an airtight container.Recipe Source: Holiday Dessert Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Macmillan Publishing Company, New York, 1986