Catholic Recipe: Kutia
The first dish of the twelve traditional meals served during a Ukrainian Christmas Eve Supper is always "Kutia". This recipe is from the "Ukrainian Daughter’s Cookbook" from the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada, Daughters of Ukraine Branch, Regina, Saskatoon. There are more complicated versions of "Kutia", but the basic recipe is the same. It should be sweet. The wheat celebrates the staff of life and the honey represents the spirit of Christ.
1) Dry the wheat in an oven at 250 F for one hour, stirring occasionally. Wash and soak in cold water overnight.
2) Next morning, bring wheat to the boiling point; simmer for 3 to 4 hours, until the kernels burst open.
3) Scald the poppy seed and simmer 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and grind witheither a mortar and pestle or a food processor using the finest setting. Set aside.
4) Combine honey and sugar in hot water. Set aside.
5) Before serving, add the sweetened mixture, poppy seed and the nuts to cooled, boiled wheat.