Catholic Recipe: Good Friday Bread
For something unusual, try this caraway bread, a Good Friday tradition in southwest England.
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, butter, and caraway seeds in mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
2. Add yeast mixture, and gradually add remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth - about 10 minutes.
3. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 1 hour.
4. Punch down dough. Shape into large round loaf. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush top of dough with milk.
5. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 45 minutes or until done.
6. Bake in a preheated 400° oven 40-50 minutes. Cool on wire rack.Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982