Catholic Recipe: Shrove Tuesday Buns II
- 3-3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or walnut extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Yield: 12 buns
- Prep Time: 1 1/2 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: Sweden
The day before Ash Wednesday is called Shrove Tuesday. People customarily confessed on this day and were called shrove or shriven as a result - thus the name. Shrove Tuesday concluded the prelenten carnival in many countries. (Mardi Gras is one.) These cream-filled buns are a Swedish delicacy for this day, but the buns deserve to be more widely enjoyed. My family raves over them.
1. Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, yeast, and cardamom in a mixing bowl.
2. Heat milk and butter to hot (120-130 degrees). Add milk mixture to dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add egg and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
4. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth - about 10 minutes.
5. Punch down dough. Shape dough into 12-inch rope and cut into 1-inch pieces. Shape these into smooth round buns.
6. Place on greased baking sheet. Let rise until double - about 30 minutes.
7. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven 10-15 minutes or until done. Cool on wire rack.
8. When cool, slice top off each bun and scoop out center with a fork, leaving a shell 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick. Set crumbs aside for filling.
9. Make filling: Mix reserved crumbs, chopped nuts, confectioners' sugar, light cream, and vanilla or walnut extract.
10. Spoon filling into buns. Add a heaping spoonful of whipped cream to each. Put tops back on and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982
Recent Catholic CommentaryAdapting Christianity? 17 hours agoThe Synod Continues October 9
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysIn Cuba, Pope emphasizes service to the vulnerable, praises thaw in US-Cuban relations CWN - September 21Pope challenges America in speech to US Congress CWN - September 24Copyright © 2015 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.