Catholic Recipe: Shrove Tuesday Buns II
- 3-3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or walnut extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Yield: 12 buns
- Prep Time: 1 1/2 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: Sweden
The day before Ash Wednesday is called Shrove Tuesday. People customarily confessed on this day and were called shrove or shriven as a result - thus the name. Shrove Tuesday concluded the prelenten carnival in many countries. (Mardi Gras is one.) These cream-filled buns are a Swedish delicacy for this day, but the buns deserve to be more widely enjoyed. My family raves over them.
1. Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, yeast, and cardamom in a mixing bowl.
2. Heat milk and butter to hot (120-130 degrees). Add milk mixture to dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add egg and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
4. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth - about 10 minutes.
5. Punch down dough. Shape dough into 12-inch rope and cut into 1-inch pieces. Shape these into smooth round buns.
6. Place on greased baking sheet. Let rise until double - about 30 minutes.
7. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven 10-15 minutes or until done. Cool on wire rack.
8. When cool, slice top off each bun and scoop out center with a fork, leaving a shell 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick. Set crumbs aside for filling.
9. Make filling: Mix reserved crumbs, chopped nuts, confectioners' sugar, light cream, and vanilla or walnut extract.
10. Spoon filling into buns. Add a heaping spoonful of whipped cream to each. Put tops back on and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982
Recent Catholic CommentaryEach of us is destined to marry Jesus Christ 16 hours agoFrom simple husband to ascetical priest 21 hours agoSt. Augustine's warning to pastors 22 hours agoSide effects of the Pill? Oh, don't worry. September 17
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysCopyright © 2014 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.