Catholic Recipe: Swiss Braid
- 1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2-2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Prep Time: 3 1/2 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: Switzerland
For a lighter New Year's bread, you should try this lemon-flavored braid from Switzerland. A three-rope braid is suggested in this recipe.
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Heat milk, butter, sugar, and salt to warm (105-115 degrees).
2. Combine 1 cup flour, yeast mixture, milk mixture, lemon juice, and lemon peel in mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add egg, raisins, and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth - about 10 minutes.
4. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 1 hour.
5. Punch down dough. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Braid and place on greased baking sheet.
6. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 45 minutes.
7. Make glaze and brush on loaf. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven about 45-55 minutes or until done. Cool on wire rack.Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982
Recent Catholic CommentaryGetting Marriage Right November 25No 'Francis effect' in Strasbourg November 25
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysPope Francis: Europe seems 'elderly and haggard' CWN - November 25Copyright © 2014 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.