Catholic Recipe: Swiss Braid
- 1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2-2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Prep Time: 3 1/2 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: Switzerland
For a lighter New Year's bread, you should try this lemon-flavored braid from Switzerland. A three-rope braid is suggested in this recipe.
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Heat milk, butter, sugar, and salt to warm (105-115 degrees).
2. Combine 1 cup flour, yeast mixture, milk mixture, lemon juice, and lemon peel in mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add egg, raisins, and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth - about 10 minutes.
4. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 1 hour.
5. Punch down dough. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Braid and place on greased baking sheet.
6. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 45 minutes.
7. Make glaze and brush on loaf. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven about 45-55 minutes or until done. Cool on wire rack.Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982
Recent Catholic CommentaryMy Six-Step Formula for Destroying Everything 1 hours agoFundraising Update: Just $22,000 to go for 2013! 5 hours agoWhile praising the Pope, Time ignores his advice December 11
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysPope Francis gives us a blueprint for his pontificate [News analysis] CWN - November 26US bishops pledge to resist ‘heavy burden’ of HHS mandate CWN - November 14Concluding Year of Faith, Pope hails Christ the King CWN - November 25Pope Francis issues major document on evangelization (link to full text) CWN - November 26Copyright © 2013 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.