Catholic Recipe: Cassata alla Siciliana (Easter Chocolate Cake)
- 1 Madeira cake (plain yellow pound cake), 9 x 3 in./23 x 8 cm
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp double (or whipping) cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp chopped candied fruit
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachio nuts
- 2 squares chocolate (semi-sweet baking chocolate)
- 12 squares chocolate (semi-sweet baking chocolate)
- 3/4 cup black coffee
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- Yield: 1 cake
- Prep Time: 3 1/2 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: Italy
This rich and unusual Sicilian cake is a festive dessert for Easter Sunday.
1. Cut the cake in 1/2-inch/1-cm slices lengthways.
2. Beat the cheese until smooth, either by hand or using a food processor.
3. Beat in the cream, sugar and juice.
4. Fold in the fruit, nuts and grated chocolate.
5. Layer the cake and the cheese mixture with cake on top and bottom. Wrap in foil, gently pressing the layers together, and chill for 3 hours.
6. Make the icing by melting the chocolate with the coffee and beating in the butter a small piece at a time until smooth. Allow to cool until it is thick enough to spread.
7. Cover the top and sides of the cake and chill for at least 12 hours before serving.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990
Recent Catholic CommentaryA different tone at this Synod? 1 hours agoInternalizing marriage at this year's synod 6 hours agoGay Vatican official who 'came out' may influence Synod in a way he didn't expect--or want 24 hours ago
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysPope issues new rules to streamline annulment process CWN - September 8In Cuba, Pope emphasizes service to the vulnerable, praises thaw in US-Cuban relations CWN - September 21Pope challenges America in speech to US Congress CWN - September 24Copyright © 2015 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.