Catholic Recipe: Coquille Buns
Coquille buns are from Norwich in England and are traditionally eaten on Shrove Tuesday.
1. Rub the lard and butter into the flour.
2. Stir in the sugar, spice and fruit.
3. Beat the egg and mix in with enough milk to make a soft dough.
4. Roll out on a floured surface to 2 in./5 cm thick and cut into squares.
5. Bake on greased baking trays in oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Serve split and buttered, either warm or cold.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990