Catholic Recipe: Chestnut Yule Log
- 4 cups unsweetened chestnut puree
- 4 squares plain chocolate (semi-sweet baking chocolate)
- 1 tbsp strong black coffee
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 1/4 cups icing (confectioners) sugar
- Sifted icing or confectioners sugar
- Christmas cake decorations.
- Yield: 1 yule log
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: France
Also Called: Buche de Noel aux Marrons
1. Beat the chestnut puree until smooth.
2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over hot water and add the coffee.
3. Beat the butter and sugar with the chestnut and chocolate until smooth.
4. Chill in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
5. Neatly shape the mixture into a log and mark it to look like bark.
6. Chill overnight. Then dust with icing sugar and decorate.
This is a very rich cake. As an alternative you could use a chocolate Swiss roll (or chocolate torte) as a base and mix up 1/4 of the chestnut mixture to use as a covering.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990
Recent Catholic CommentarySpeaking Softly to Women Religious December 16
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysPope Francis: Europe seems 'elderly and haggard' CWN - November 25Pope Francis, Ecumenical Patriarch sign joint declaration, lament persecution of Christians CWN - December 1Consistory for new cardinals scheduled for February CWN - December 11Vatican report on US women religious calls for further self-assessment CWN - December 16Pope brokered deal to open US-Cuba ties CWN - December 17Copyright © 2014 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.