Catholic Recipe: Chestnut Yule Log
- 4 cups unsweetened chestnut puree
- 4 squares plain chocolate (semi-sweet baking chocolate)
- 1 tbsp strong black coffee
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 1/4 cups icing (confectioners) sugar
- Sifted icing or confectioners sugar
- Christmas cake decorations.
- Yield: 1 yule log
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: France
Also Called: Buche de Noel aux Marrons
1. Beat the chestnut puree until smooth.
2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over hot water and add the coffee.
3. Beat the butter and sugar with the chestnut and chocolate until smooth.
4. Chill in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
5. Neatly shape the mixture into a log and mark it to look like bark.
6. Chill overnight. Then dust with icing sugar and decorate.
This is a very rich cake. As an alternative you could use a chocolate Swiss roll (or chocolate torte) as a base and mix up 1/4 of the chestnut mixture to use as a covering.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990
Recent Catholic Commentary
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysPope Francis's Easter Message 'Urbi et Orbi' (To the City and the World): full text, link to video CWN - 3 hours agoPope Francis: Easter Vigil homily (full text) CWN - 3 hours agoCopyright © 2014 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.