Catholic Recipe: Chestnut Yule Log
- 4 cups unsweetened chestnut puree
- 4 squares plain chocolate (semi-sweet baking chocolate)
- 1 tbsp strong black coffee
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 1/4 cups icing (confectioners) sugar
- Sifted icing or confectioners sugar
- Christmas cake decorations.
- Yield: 1 yule log
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: France
Also Called: Buche de Noel aux Marrons
1. Beat the chestnut puree until smooth.
2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over hot water and add the coffee.
3. Beat the butter and sugar with the chestnut and chocolate until smooth.
4. Chill in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
5. Neatly shape the mixture into a log and mark it to look like bark.
6. Chill overnight. Then dust with icing sugar and decorate.
This is a very rich cake. As an alternative you could use a chocolate Swiss roll (or chocolate torte) as a base and mix up 1/4 of the chestnut mixture to use as a covering.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990
Recent Catholic CommentaryRich Spiritual Instruction 9 hours agoSnowbound thoughts on natural law 17 hours agoChurch Fathers: St. Polycarp and St. Papias January 24On News Both Good and Fun January 23
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysPope Francis names 20 new cardinals CWN - January 5In ‘state of the world’ address, Pope decries ‘throwaway culture’ CWN - January 12Copyright © 2015 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.