Catholic Recipe: Stollen (5)
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tbsp lukewarm water
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 stick butter
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground mace
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup candied peel, chopped
- 1/2 cup sultanas (golden raisins)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups icing (confectioners) sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence (extract)
- walnut halves
- Yield: 2 loaves
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: Germany
Also Called: Christstollen
In Germany Stollen is made in advance for eating at Christmas and giving as gifts.
1. Add the warm water to half the warm milk and sprinkle the dried yeast on top. Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes, until frothy.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Add the eggs and half the butter to the remaining milk and mix together with the frothy yeast.
4. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients to make a soft dough.
5. Knead the dough on a floured board for 10 minutes. Put dough back into bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in bulk.
6. Divide the dough in two and roll out each portion to form a large oval. Brush each with melted butter and roll up.
7. Place on greased baking tins, cover and allow to rise until doubled in size.
8. Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool.
9. When Stollen are cool make up the icing by melting butter and stirring in other icing ingredients. Spread on top and sides of Stollen and decorate with walnut halves.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990
Recent Catholic CommentaryOur Spiritual Destiny and the Horror of War September 19The Islamic roots of terrorism must be addressed September 19Each of us is destined to marry Jesus Christ September 18From simple husband to ascetical priest September 18St. Augustine's warning to pastors September 18
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysCopyright © 2014 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.