We must fulfill the minimum requirements of the Church
for fasting and abstinence. But there are other forms of abstaining and
fasting. We must remember that when we do "give up" something,
it should be completely, not saved for later. The money we save from not
buying a cup of coffee should be given as a donation to charity. The time
we don't watch TV should be spent doing spiritual reading, or family time.
Below are some examples of other forms of fasting or abstaining:
- Refrain from complaining, gossiping, grumbling or losing
- Abstain from favorite drinks, desserts or foods.
- Eat less at meals, or eat fewer snacks between meals;
- Fast extra days in Lent besides Ash Wednesday and Good
- Eat without complaining.
- Make simple meals, that are less appealing to
the sense of taste.