Ordinary Time: September 27th
Memorial of St. Vincent de Paul, priest
Old Calendar: Sts. Cosmas and Damian, martyrs ; Other Titles: Apostle of Charity; Monsieur Vincent
St. Vincent de Paul (1576 - 1660) was born in Gascony, France, and died in Paris. He studied theology at Toulouse and was ordained a priest in 1600. As a young priest he fell into the hands of Mohammedan pirates who carried him off to Africa. After his return to France he became successively parish priest, grand almoner of the galley slaves, and spiritual director of the Visitation nuns. He founded the Congregation of the Priests of the Mission or Lazarists to preach especially to country people. With the help of Louise de Marillac he established the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity to care for young girls, for the needy, sick, and foundlings. He died at St. Lazarus's which was the center of his Congregation. Leo XIII proclaimed him special patron of charitable institutions.According to the 1962 Missal of Bl. John XXIII the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite, today is the feast of Sts. Cosmas and Damian which is observed on September 26 in the Ordinary Form.
St. Vincent de Paul
St. Vincent de Paul was a great apostle of charity, and brought a great revival of the priesthood in the 17th century. He was born near Dax in the Landes (France) in 1581. As a young priest he was captured by Moorish pirates who carried him to Africa. He was sold into slavery, but freed in 1607 when he converted his owner.
- Find out more about the Vincent de Paul Society near you, see if you can participate.
- Find out more about the two orders founded by St. Vincent.
- Other people to find out more about: St. Louise de Marillac, Bl. Frederic Ozanam and St. Francis de Sales.
- Learn what France was like during St. Vincent's life. At that war-torn time, the lives of peasants were far removed from those of the nobility.
- Make a banner or poster with St. Vincent's motto to remind us of God's presence.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our September expenses ($33,448 to go):