Catholic Activity: Practical Suggestions for Christian Living (Holy Orders)
Father Fischer's suggestions remind us to respect the sacred priesthood and pray for priests often.
- Pray for your priest daily that he may lead many souls to Christ.
- Always respect Christ in the priest, regardless of the personal qualities of the individual priest.
- Pray for vocations to the priesthood when saying your family prayers.
- Encourage vocations within the family, should such vocations be evident.
- Shield the priesthood against the onslaughts of its enemies in word and deed.
- Co-operate with your pastor by engaging in parish activities.
- Help support your priests to the best of your ability.
- Never permit criticism of a member of the clergy in the family conversation; this will earn many favors in the form of blessings.
- Have confidence in your Father Confessor; he represents Christ in the confessional.
- Encourage boys of the family to become Mass servers; it may be a sacrifice at times, but pays rich dividends in a spiritual way.
- Keep the priesthood sacred in the eyes of your non-Catholic relatives and friends.
- Always remember the priest has given up all the comforts and consolations of a home of his own to help keep yours happy; co-operate with him in his great work for souls in every way you can.
Activity Source: Our Christian Home by Rev. Joseph A. Fischer, Seraphic Press, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1954
Recent Catholic Commentary
The first steps toward liturgical renewal 15 hours ago
Boycott Apple? No; the effort is doomed to fail. 17 hours ago
Church Fathers: St. Justin Martyr March 31
Zooming toward Easter March 31
Top Catholic News
Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
Pope announces Jubilee: a Year of Mercy CWN - March 13