Catholic Activity: Practical Suggestions for Christian Living (Holy Eucharist)
Ways to cultivate a loving reverence for Christ in the Holy Eucharist.
- Pay a visit to the Blessed Sacrament as often as possible; even a "pop" call is better than none.
- Receive Holy Communion frequently, daily if possible.
- Approach the Communion railing [line] devoutly; make sure your attire is in keeping with the sacredness of the occasion.
- Avoid all unnecessary noise during the sacred moments of the Consecration of the Mass.
- Attend weekday Mass whenever possible.
- Prepare to receive our Eucharistic Lord. Following the Mass prayers by using a Missal is recommended.
- Spend at least fifteen minutes in prayer as an act of thanksgiving after receiving Christ's Body and Blood in Holy Communion.
- Often make a spiritual communion, particularly when attending Mass without receiving the sacrament of the Eucharist.
- Have Holy Masses read for the souls of your loved ones.
- Participate in the Forty Hours Devotion of our parish churches.
- Get into the habit of reciting ejaculatory prayers in honor of the Real Presence.
- When genuflecting before the tabernacle say: "Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, I adore and love You."
Activity Source: Our Christian Home by Rev. Joseph A. Fischer, Seraphic Press, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1954
Recent Catholic Commentary
While praising the Pope, Time ignores his advice December 11
More Legal Challenges ahead for the Church? December 10
Book chapter 4: A Heritage Stolen December 10
Top Catholic News
Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
Pope Francis gives us a blueprint for his pontificate [News analysis] CWN - November 26
US bishops pledge to resist ‘heavy burden’ of HHS mandate CWN - November 14
Concluding Year of Faith, Pope hails Christ the King CWN - November 25
Pope Francis issues major document on evangelization (link to full text) CWN - November 26