Catholic Activity: Devotions for Good Friday
Three Hours Devotion This day is usually spent in silence, prayer and meditation. From noon to 3:00 p.m., many churches celebrate a "Three Hours Devotion," to commemorate the time Jesus hung and died on the cross. This devotion usually includes meditations on the Seven Last Words. The Stations of the Cross are also an appropriate devotion during this time.
Seven Last Words These are the recorded words of Christ spoke during his three hours on a cross. These are a great source for meditation on the Passion and Death of Christ.
- Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do! (Luke 24:34)
- This day thou shall be with me in Paradise. (Luke 24:43)
- Woman, behold thy son.... Behold thy mother. (John 19:26, 27)
- My God, My God! why have you forsaken me? (Matt 27:26; Mark 15:34)
- I thirst! (John 19:28)
- It is finished. (John 19:30)
- Father, into Your hands I commend my spirit. (Luke 24:46)