The new issue of Catholic World Report
By Domenico Bettinelli, Jr. (articles ) | Jul 01, 2003
The July issue of Catholic World Report should be hitting newsstands and mailboxes, and here's what you'll find inside:
- Croatia in the Balance:Croatia maintained deep cultural ties to Catholicism, despite centuries of pressure from powerful Orthodox and Islamic neighbors. Now the Balkan country faces news pressure, from an increasingly secularized European community. Also, measuring the Pope's trip against the historic background.
- Britain's "Dirty War" With The IRA: A new report reveals that British military and police personnel helped Protestant guerillas kill Catholics in Northern Ireland.
- The Limits Of Free Speech: If a clear statement of Church teaching is "inappropriate" for a graduation ceremony at America's oldest Catholic university, when is it appropriate? Cardinal Arinze's speech at Georgetown and the controversy surrounding it is examined.
- Losing A Legacy: Argentina's new leader has a discouraging record on issues involving human life and families.
- Red Nose Day: Tara Holmes finds that a charitable event, endorsed by the backing of the English and Welsh bishops, raises money for groups supporting abortion and contraception.
- From Vatican II To Today: Archbishop George Pell argues against the primacy of conscience.
- Why Not Gay Marriage? An Exchange: How should Catholics argue the case against legal recognition of same-sex "marriage?" Several months ago, the editor of CWR engaged in an email exchange with a Jesuit friend, debating the persuasiveness of various arguments. The exchange found its way to other readers, who found it useful and suggested that it should be made available to the general public.
- The Coming Fury: Joseph Cosby warns that political trends in the US point clearly toward a rising tide of anti-Catholicism, which could reach its crest during the 2004 election campaign.
- Plus our usual boatload of regular features.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our July expenses ($33,493 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!