Irish court approves release of report on abuse in Cloyne diocese
April 08, 2011
Ireland's High Court has approved the publication of a report on sexual abuse in the Diocese of Cloyne, except for some portions that relate to the case of a priest who is currently facing trial.
The 26-chapter report on the Cloyne diocese was commissioned by the Irish government in January 2009, after an independent board found that the diocese was not implementing policies to safeguard children. The investigation--chaired by Judge Yvonne Murphy, who also headed the commission investigating the Dublin archdiocese--was completed last December.
The report on Cloyne is expected to re-open wounds caused by the revelations of the "Murphy report" on the Dublin archdiocese last year. Bishop John Magee of Cloyne resigned his post last March, apparently at the request of the Holy See, after he was severely criticized for failing to report and discipline priests who had been accused of sexual abuse. The Vatican has not yet named his successor.
Mr. Justice Nicholas Kearns, the president of the High Court, said that Chapter 9 could not be published without the risk of prejudicing the case of an accused priest. In July, he said, the block on publication of Chapter 9 may be reviewed.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Cloyne Report chapters cleared for publication (RTE)
- Court clears way for Cloyne abuse report (Irish Examiner)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!