Record crowd at March for Life in Washington
January 28, 2013
A record crowd called for legal protection for the unborn during the annual March for Life in Washington. The Associated Press reported that “thousands” took part, while pro-life journalists who were present estimated the crowd at 500,000.
“One day, we will be here and triumph, because love and truth always triumph,” former Sen. Rick Santorum told the crowd.
The march was preceded by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops’ annual National Prayer Vigil for Life at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. An estimated 13,000 were in attendance.
“There is no doubt that the next major assault on the Gospel of Life will come from those pushing physician assisted suicide and euthanasia,” Cardinal Seán O’Malley preached. “The society that allows parents to kill their children will allow children to kill their parents.”
(See the related City Gates commentary by Phil Lawler, “Please, stop grousing about media coverage of the March for Life.”)
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Hundreds of Thousands Gather for Record-Breaking March for Life (LifeNews.com)
- Hundreds of thousands join record-breaking U.S. March for Life (LifeSiteNews.com)
- Abortion opponents marching in Washington to mark 40th anniversary of landmark court decision (AP)
- Anti-abortion marchers in Washington protest 40 yrs of legal abortion (Reuters)
- March Vigil Mass: 13,000 faithful, 5 cardinals, 42 bishops, 395 priests, 80 deacons, 520 seminarians (LifeSiteNews.com)
- Pope sends Twitter message of support to March for Life (CWN, 1/25)
- Record crowd expected at March for Life; prayer vigil to feature Masses, holy hours (CWN, 1/15)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!