Vatican clears 28 for beatification
Catholic World News - April 04, 2011
On April 2 the Congregation for the Causes of Saints released 13 decrees, moving 34 candidates closer to beatification.
The decrees--were authorized by Pope Benedict XVI at a private audience with Cardinal Angelo Amato, the prefect of the Congregation--recognized miracles in the cases of 5 candidates for beatification; proclaimed the martyrdom of 23 people; and testified to the "heroic virtue" of 6 others, who are now eligible for beatification if a miracle is attributed to their intercession.
Miracles that were confirmed through the intercession of these 5 candidates, for whom beatification ceremonies may now be scheduled:
- Serafino Morazzone (1747-1822), an Italian diocesan priest;
- Clemente Vismara (1897-1988), an Italian PIME priest;
- Elena Aiello (1895-1961), an Italian religious;
- Maria Catalina Irigoyen Echegaray (1848-1918), a Spanish religious; and
- Enrica Alfieri (1891-1951), an Italian religious.
The Congregation issued two decrees testifying to the martyrdom of:
- Peter Adrian Toulorge (1757-1793), a French priest who was killed in the aftermath of the French Revolution; and
- Francisco Esteban Lacal, a Spanish Oblate priest, and 21 companions; and Candido Castan San Jose, a Spanish layman, all of whom were killed in Spain in 1936.
Finally the Congregation for the Causes of Saints announced that these candidates have been found to have exhibited heroic virtue:
- Thomas Kurialacherry (1873-1925), an Indian bishop;
- Adolphe Chatillon (1871-1929), a Canadian religious brother;
- Maria Chiara of St. Teresa of the Child Jesus (1909-1948), an Italian religious;
- Maria Dolores Inglese (1866-1928), an Italian religious;
- Irene Stefani (1891-1930), an Italian religious; and
- Bernhard Lehner (1930-1944), a German layman.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our April expenses ($26,339 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!