Chavez pushing Venezuela toward totalitarianism, cardinal charges
December 29, 2010
Cardinal Jorge Urosa-Savino of Caracas is expressing concern that a “totalitarian dictatorship” is developing under the leadership of President Hugo Chavez.
“If someone gets angry because the bishops note that there are political prisoners, if someone feels offended because we ask to respect the right to information, we are very sorry, but this is a postulate of the constitution,” the prelate said. “He who is at the wheel of the government must take into account the great responsibility he has, historically and before God. If they want to impose a totalitarian dictatorship, this would certainly be a terrible thing for Venezuela.”
- Cardinal Jorge Urosa-Savino fears Venezuela is moving towards a dictatorship (Fides)
- Venezuelan archbishop fearful of Chavez request for emergency powers (CWN, 12/17)
- Venezuelan cardinal urges lawmakers to respect Catholic voice (CWN, 8/3)
- Venezuela’s bishops rip Chávez regime (CWN, 7/14)
- Chavez pushing Venezuela into dictatorship, cardinal charges (CWN, 7/8)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!