Vatican confirms miracles, martyrdoms
Catholic World News - December 10, 2010
The Vatican Congregation for the Causes of Saints has approved the authenticity of a miracle through the intercession of Blessed Guido Maria Conforti (1865- 1931), clearing the way for the canonization of the Italian archbishop.
In a series of decrees released on December 10, with the approval of Pope Benedict XVI, the Congregation also approved miracles attributed to 4 candidates, and confirmed the martyrdom of 7 others—thus making all 11 eligible for beatification.
The Congregation also certified the “heroic virtue” practiced by 4 candidates, who are now eligible for beatification if a miracle is attributed to their intercession.
The decrees issued on December 10 attested to miracles miracles through the intercession of:
- Blessed Guido Maria Conforti (1865- 1931), the Italian prelate;
- Francesco Paleari (1863- 1939), an Italian priest;
- Anna Maria Janer Anglarill (1800- 1885), a Spanish religious;
- Marie Clare of the Child Jesus (born Libania do Carmo Galvao Meixo de Moura Telles e Albuquerque) (1843- 1899), a Portuguese religious; and
- Dulce (born Maria Rita Lopes) Pontes (1914- 1992), a Brazilian religious.
The Congregation attested to the martyrdom of:
- Alois Andritzki (1914- 1943), a German priest who died at Dachau;
- José Nadal y Guiu (1911-1936) and José Jordan y Blecua (1906-1936), Spanish priests who were killed during religious persecution in that country; and
- Antonio (born Miguel Faundez) Lopez (1907- 1936), Bonaventura (born Baltasar Mariano) Munoz Martinez (1912- 1936), Pedro Sanchez Barba (1895-1936), and Fulgencio Martinez Garcia (1911-1936), Spanish Franciscan priests who also died during the religious persecution in Spain.
- Antonio Palladino (1881-1926), an Italian priest;
- Bechara (born Selim) Abou-Mourad (1853-1930), a Lebanese Melkite religious;
- Maria Elisa Andreoli (1861-1935), an Italian religious; and
- Maria Pilar of the Sacred Heart (born Maria Pilar Solsona) Lamban (1881-1966), a Spanish religious.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($62,863 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!