Archbishop denounces Nigerian bombing
Catholic World News - October 04, 2010
A leading Nigerian prelate has denounced the latest violent attempt to destabilize Africa’s largest nation. On October 1, two bombs exploded in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, near the site of a military parade celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of independence from Great Britain.
“We are saddened by the loss of ten lives and concerned that we are facing a new phenomenon, never before seen in our history: a double attack in the federal capital,” said Archbishop John Onaiyekan of Abuja. While there is some speculation that al-Qaeda may be involved, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) had previously announced it would place bombs near the parade route.
“In the case that the claim of the MEND was deemed credible by the authorities, then I wonder what this group wants to achieve by killing innocent people,” said Archbishop Onaiyekan.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our August expenses ($21,612 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!