Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Belgian cardinal admits he should have demanded resignation of abuser-bishop

Catholic World News - September 08, 2010

Belgian Cardinal Godfried Danneels conceded that he had made mistakes in his handling of sex-abuse allegations, and should have demanded the immediate resignation of a bishop who had molested a boy.

In an interview published by La Libre Belgique the retired Archbishop of Brussels admitted that he had made “an enormous error” by agreeing to meet with the bishop’s victim. He said that Bishop Roger Vangheluwe had asked him to meet with the victim and his family, without explaining the situation.

When he learned that the bishop had molested the young man, Cardinal Danneels said, “I should have immediately asked Msgr. Vangheluwe to offer his resignation.” He said that too often, in handling abuse cases, he had been concerned with preserving appearances rather than stopping the abuse.

The cardinal also said that he was puzzled by the fact that although the young man had been abused over a period of years, beginning more than 25 years before his meeting with the family, no one in that family had ever notified the police.

Additional sources for this story
Some links will take you to other sites, in a new window.

An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:

Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!

Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($25,362 to go):
$150,000.00 $124,637.96
17% 83%
Sound Off! CatholicCulture.org supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

Show 2 Comments? (Hidden)Hide Comments
  • Posted by: opraem - Sep. 08, 2010 8:58 PM ET USA

    another case of just in time penance. if the media hadn't exposed the abuse and cover-up it would still be going on. and the hierarchy wonder why no one believes them when they say the abuse and its cover-ups are over. who's next?

  • Posted by: - Sep. 08, 2010 6:07 PM ET USA

    Confession-after-expose' doesn't count

Fall 2014 Campaign
Subscribe for free
Shop Amazon
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Recent Catholic Commentary

Denial of Service Attack: Success! December 19
Federal debt as a social-justice concern December 19
Another side of Francis: US-Cuba role shows Pope's diplomatic muscle December 18
Silly season: a Christmas approaches, a scholar questions whether Jesus ever existed December 18
The intrinsic immorality of torture: still not convinced? December 18

Top Catholic News

Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
Pope Francis: Europe seems 'elderly and haggard' CWN - November 25
Pope Francis, Ecumenical Patriarch sign joint declaration, lament persecution of Christians CWN - December 1
Consistory for new cardinals scheduled for February CWN - December 11
Vatican report on US women religious calls for further self-assessment CWN - December 16
Pope brokered deal to open US-Cuba ties CWN - December 17