Federal court blocks Obama administration’s stem cell policy
August 24, 2010
Citing the 1995 Dickey Amendment, in which Congress banned the federal funding of “research in which a human embryo or embryos are destroyed,” the US District Court for the District of Columbia temporarily halted the Obama administration’s expanded funding of human embryonic stem cell research. “Embryonic stem cell (ESC) research necessarily depends upon the destruction of a human embryo,” wrote Judge Royce Lamberth.
- Court halts president’s stem cell expansion (Boston Globe)
- Court Blocks New Federal Funding for Embryonic Stem Cell Research (FoxNews)
- Judge Forces Obama Admin to Stop Funding Embryonic Stem Cell Research (LifeNews.com)
- Points to consider: The New NIH Guidelines for embryonic stem cell research (USCCB)
- Dickey Amendment (Wikipedia)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: Vincit omnia amor -
Aug. 24, 2010 7:17 PM ET USA
God Bless Drs. Theresa Deisher and James Sherley for their courage. I know Dr. Deisher is doing great work in trying to find therapies using ethical means, as well as developing ethical vaccines (those that do not come from ESC's or existing cell lines developed from aborted babies). You can learn more about her work at: www.avmbiotech.com/home.html Please pray for Dr. Deisher and her important research!