Bishop airs evidence of British troops' misconduct in 1971 shootings in Northern Ireland
Catholic World News - July 30, 2010
An Irish bishop has released a group of previously unpublished documents that point to serious misconduct by British troops in shootings that caused 11 deaths and multiple injuries in Northern Ireland in 1971.
Bishop Noel Treanor of Down and Connor said that after meeting with relatives of those who were killed or injured in the shootings that took place in Ballymurphy in August 1971, he had ordered a careful search through diocesan archives, which yielded a number of eyewitness reports on the confrontation.
“The events of those days in Ballymurphy were a disturbing prelude to the events of Bloody Sunday only six months later,” the bishop said. But the British military had never thoroughly investigated reports of misconduct, he charged: “Instead, as in Bloody Sunday, the reputations of those who were killed and injured were actively besmirched and the evidence of reliable eye witnesses was either ignored or actively discredited.”
Bishop Treanor called attention to the serious charges raised by eyewitnesses at Ballymurphy:
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($124,732 to go):$150,000.00 $25,268.34
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!