Vatican officially confirms schedule for September papal visit to Britain
Catholic World News - July 05, 2010
The Vatican has officially confirmed plans for the visit by Pope Benedict XVI to Great Britain in September.
The plans for the papal trip has been known for weeks, and last month bishops of England and Wales released a booklet with detailed background information about the visit. But the Vatican typically does not make an official announcement of papal travel until a few weeks before the trip.
The Vatican announcement on July 5 confirmed that the Pope will be in the United Kingdom from September 16 to 19. Without supplying more exact dates, the announcement mentioned that the Pope would:
- meet with Queen Elizabeth at her palace in Ediburgh;
- celebrate an outdoor Mass at a park in Glasgow;
- speak to political and business leaders at Westminster Hall;
- lead an ecumenical service at Westminster Abbey;
- join in a prayer vigil at Hyde Park; and
- preside at the beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman in Birmingham.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($26,341 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!