Irish bishops seen unready to handle abuse crisis
Catholic World News - April 09, 2010
In a Vatican Radio interview, the editor of the Irish Catholic says that the Irish bishops have lacked a plan for dealing with the sex-abuse crisis in that country, and have taken their guidance from Pope Benedict XVI.
" The bishops came back from Rome with something like a bounce in their step because I suppose for the first time in a long time they seemed to have a plan," said Garry O'Sulivan. But since their meeting at the Vatican the Irish bishops have reverted to an awkward approach, he reports:
Since they’ve come back they have been reeling from blow after blow, some self inflicted blows to be honest. It’s not difficult to understand why the bishops would be seen to lack credibility because of these things but also because the Pope in his Letter said to them that their credibility had been seriously undermined.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our July expenses ($16,162 to go):$35,000.00 $18,838.29
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!