Dutch cardinal denies knowledge of extent of abuse
Catholic World News - March 24, 2010
“Extremely shocked” and “ashamed” by recent widespread allegations of clerical abuse in the Netherlands, Cardinal Adrianus Simonis-- the retired Archbishop of Utrecht-- said that he had been aware of no more than ten cases of abuse in his nearly four decades as a bishop.
“If a priest was involved, I was responsible,” he said. “If it was a member of a religious order, it was up to the order itself.”
On March 15, Radio Netherlands reported that 137 priests and religious had recently been accused off abuse by some 200 former seminarians and boarding school students. An online Dutch news site has since reported that 600 allegations have been made in the past month.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach five million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our April expenses ($18,110 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!