Action Alert!
Catholic World News

Local diocese: Medjugorje pilgrimages still not approved

December 18, 2017

The diocese in Bosnia-Herzegovina where Medjugorje is located has taken issue with a recent announcement by a Vatican-appointed visitor who said that pilgrimages to Medjugorje are now authorized.

Archbishop Henryk Hoser said last week that it is “no longer a problem” for church groups to schedule pilgrimages to Medjugorje. But the local diocese—which has always expressed deep skepticism about the alleged Marian apparitions there—has published an analysis noting that Archbishop Hoser’s term as a Vatican envoy has expired, and the Polish prelate does not have authority to rule on the matter.

Archbishop Hoser, who was commissioned to investigate the pastoral situation in Medjugorje, reported on the healthy spiritual life he found there. However, the diocesan analysis argued—citing the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith—that the pastoral situation cannot be separated from the reported apparitions. The Vatican has not yet ruled on the authenticity of those phenomena, which continue to this day.

The diocese observed that despite the statement by Archbishop Hoser, there has been no formal Vatican statement or document approving of pilgrimages to Medjugorje.

 
Further information:
Sound Off! CatholicCulture.org supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

There are no comments yet for this item.