Five new cardinals elevated at consistory
June 28, 2017
Pope Francis elevated five prelates to the College of Cardinals at a consistory on Wednesday afternoon, June 28.
The Pontiff bestowed red hats on:
- Cardinal Andres Aborelius, Archbishop of Stockholm, Sweden;
- Cardinal Gregorio Rosa Chavez, auxiliary bishop of San Salvador, El Salvador;
- Cardinal Luis Marie-Ling Mangkhanekhoun, apostolic vicar of Pakse, Laos;
- Cardinal Juan José Omelia, Archbishop of Barcelona, Spain; and
- Cardinal Jean Zerbo, Archbishop of Bamako, Mali.
In his homily for the ceremony, Pope Francis reminded the new cardinals that as Jesus made his journey toward Jerusalem to face his death, the apostles did not understand what was to come. “Jesus walks ahead of the disciples,” the Pope said.
Now, the Pope said, “Jesus is walking ahead of you, and He asks you to follow Him resolutely on his way. He calls you to look at reality, not to let yourselves be distracted by other interests or prospects.”
The Pontiff exhorted the new cardinals: “Follow Him, and walk ahead of the holy people of God, with your gaze fixed on the Lord’s Cross and Resurrection.”
- Pope Francis to new Cardinals: your mission is to serve (Vatican Radio)
- Full Text of Pope Francis’ Homily to New Cardinals (National Catholic Register)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!