Catholic colleges invite anti-Catholic graduation speakers
May 04, 2017
At least nine prominent Catholic colleges and universities have scheduled commencement talks and awards for individuals who have taken public stands in opposition to Church teaching, the Cardinal Newman Society reports.
The schools include:
- Boston College, which will honor Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey, a proponent of legal abortion and same-sex marriage;
- College of Mt. St. Vincent, which will honor Maria Vullo, superintendent of New York state financial services, who has demanded that insurers cover abortion and contraception;
- Depaul University, which will honor Paulette Brown, a former president of the American Bar Association, who worked to tighten rules against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation;
- Loyola (Chicago), which will honor Mary Francis Berry, former chairman of the US Civil Rights Commission and a proponent of recognizing same-sex marriage;
- Regis University in Denver which will honor Father Greg Boyle, SJ, founder of Homeboy Industries, who has supported recognition of same-sex marriage and argued for the ordination of women as priests;
- Notre Dame, which will give Father Boyle the Laetare Medal, the university’s highest honor;
- University of San Francisco, which will honor Xavier Becerra, California’s attorney general, who earned a 100% voting record with Planned Parenthood during his previous service in Congress; and
- Xavier University in Louisiana, which will honor Rep. Cedric Richmond, also a proponent of legal abortion.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: Retired01 -
May. 06, 2017 10:56 AM ET USA
"If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand" (Mark 3:24-25). When will the bishops have the guts to do something about Catholic colleges promoting the anti-Catholics? Small wonder that the Church is in trouble.
Posted by: jalsardl5053 -
May. 04, 2017 7:43 PM ET USA
No surprises here in the list of usual suspects. Pretty tough to evangelize when key support morphs into key support...Can't judge of course, but I don't think the warning about scandalizing is necessarily limited to young minds.
Posted by: unum -
May. 04, 2017 6:46 PM ET USA
... and our bishops do ... nothing! I guess the terms "Catholic college or university" no longer have any meaning.
Posted by: aclune9083 -
May. 04, 2017 6:33 PM ET USA
The headline is incorrect; it should be revised to read: Nine formerly Catholic colleges......