Nuncio outlines Holy See’s diplomatic priorities at UN
March 07, 2017
In a talk delivered a Seton Hall University, Archbishop Bernardito Auza, Apostolic Nuncio and Permanent Observer of the Holy See to the United Nations, outlined his diplomatic priorities as he conducts his mission.
The six priorities are
- “the ceaseless pursuit of peace, in particular in war-torn areas”
- “the pursuit of disarmament, in particular nuclear disarmament and abolition”
- “responding to the crisis of refugees, migrants, and internally displaced people across the globe”
- “fighting human trafficking and other forms of modern slavery”
- “seeking to lift up those in extreme poverty”
- “the fundamental and constant priority of the defense and promotion of the dignity of every human person and of the family”
“I insist on talking of a pastoral and spiritual diplomacy of the Holy Father,” the prelate added in his March 1 address. “We should therefore understand his diplomatic style and substance primarily within a spiritual key, conscious of the fact that no matter how famous he has become or how respected he is among the world leaders and ordinary citizens, he remains primarily a Pastor and Teacher, and for those of us who are Catholic, our Holy Father.”
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: wsw33410 -
Mar. 07, 2017 6:58 PM ET USA
What specifically the Vat diplomat does to stop UN demanding the right to kill unborn children and governments funding to kill these children; demanding punishment for governments that do not go along with killing unborn children; demanding the redefinition of the natural family; demanding countries accept the radical homosexual agenda and children be forced to learn about homosexuality in grade school; demanding children learn all manner of pornographic ideas starting at the age of 10???