Preview of Vatican's Lenten Retreat
March 01, 2016
The Vatican has released a preview of the Lenten Retreat that will take place from March 6 to 11 at the Casa Divin Maestro in Ariccia, Italy.
Father Ermes Ronchi, an Italian Servite theologian, will lead the annual spiritual exercises. Pope Francis and the leaders of the Roman Curia will attend. During the week of the retreat, papal audiences are suspended and Vatican offices work on a reduced schedule.
The retreat will begin Sunday with Eucharistic adoration, followed by Vespers. During the week, each day will begin with Lauds, followed by a meditation and Mass. In the afternoon there will be a 2nd meditation and Vespers.
Father Ronchi will open each meditation with a question drawn from the Gospels:
- "What are you looking for?" (John 1.38)
- ”Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?" (Mark 4.40)
- "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again?" (Matthew 5.13)
- "But who do you say that I am?" (Luke 9.20)
- "Then, turning to the woman, he told Simon, 'Do you see this woman?'" (Luke 7.44)
- "How many loaves do you have?" (Mark 6.38, Matthew 15.34)
- "Straightening up, Jesus said to her, 'Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?'" (John 8.10)
- "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?" (John 20.15)
- "Simon son of John, do you love me?" (John 21.16)
- "Mary said to the angel, 'How can this be?'" (Luke 1.34)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!