Seven candidates move closer to beatification
Catholic World News - July 09, 2014
The Congregation for the Causes of Saints has released a series of decrees testifying to the “heroic virtue” of seven people, who will now be eligible for beatification if a miracle is certified through their intercession.
The decrees--by Pope Francis on July 8 during private audience with Cardinal Angelo Amato, the prefect of the Congregation—are for:
- Antonio Ferreira Vicoso (1787-1875), a Portuguese bishop;
- Saturnino Lopez Novoa (1830-1905), a Spanish priest;
- Joseph-Auguste Arribat (1879-1963), a French Salesian priest;
- Mary Veronica of the Passion (born Sophie Leeves), a British Carmelite;
- Elena da Persico (1869-1948), the Italian lay foundress of the Secular Institute of the Daughters of the Queen of the Apostles;
- Gaetana of the Blessed Sacrament (nee Carlotta Fontana), an Italian religious; and
- Marcello Candia (1916-1983), an Italian layman.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($125,323 to go):