6 blesseds to be canonized in November
June 12, 2014
During a June 12 consistory, Pope Francis announced that six blesseds will be canonized on November 23, the feast of Christ the King.
Two of the saints were members of the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, an Eastern Catholic church in full communion with the Holy See.
The six are:
- Blessed Giovanni Antonio Farina (1803-1888), an Italian bishop who founded the Institute of the Sisters Teachers of Saint Dorothy, Daughters of the Sacred Hearts
- Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara (1805-1871), a Syro-Malabar priest in India who founded the Carmelites of Mary Immaculate;
- Blessed Ludovico of Casoria (1814-1885), an Italian Franciscan priest who founded the Gray Sisters of St. Elizabeth;
- Blessed Nicola Saggio (Nicola da Longobardi, 1650-1709), an Italian oblate of the Order of Minims;
- Blessed Euphrasia Eluvathingal (1877-1952), an Indian Carmelite of the Syro-Malabar Church; and
- Blessed Amato Ronconi (1238-1304), a Third Order Franciscan who founded a hospital for poor pilgrims