Archbishop Nienstedt, in deposition, says he knew little about sex-abuse complaints
Catholic World News - April 23, 2014
In a deposition made public on April 23, Archbishop John Nienstedt said that he was not aware that priests accused of sexual abuse had remained in active ministry after he assumed control of the Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Archbishop Nienstedt said that he had been briefed on existing sex-abuse complaints when he first took office in St. Paul, succeeding Archbishop Harry Flynn in 2008, but had not remembered the names of the priests involved.
The archbishop, in his lengthy deposition, defended his own handling of the sex-abuse problem, but admitted that he now believes more thorough public disclosure of complaints is warranted.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our July expenses ($17,856 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!