Irish board monitoring abuse claims denies former director's charge that complaint was scuttled
Catholic World News - March 28, 2014
The former chief of an independent board set up by the Irish bishops to investigate sex-abuse complaints has complained that critical facts were removed from a report that he had drafted.
Ian Elliott, who retired last year from his post as director of the National Board for the Safeguarding of Children, said that the Board’s report on the Diocese of Down and Connor failed to mention that the diocese had stymied an inquiry into the case of a former priest jailed for molesting young men.
The National Board released a statement denying the charges. The statement said that the report was edited after Elliott’s departure, but rejected the claim that the group “omitted relevant matters from the audit process.”
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!