Orthodox officials fear for nuns kidnapped in Syria
Catholic World News - December 11, 2013
The Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch has told the AsiaNews service that it has no word on the condition of 12 nuns who were kidnapped last week, and questioned the authenticity of a video in which the nuns said they were unharmed and undisturbed by their captors.
Orthodox officials said that they were concerned about the fate of the women religious, who were seized on December 4. There had been rumors that the captives would be released on December 9, but Church officials report that they have heard nothing from the kidnappers.
Orthodox Metropolitan Selwanos Boutros Alnemeh of Homs and Hama called for “the immediate release of the nuns, who have done no harm to anyone.” Speaking to Aid to the Church in Need, he confirmed that there has been “no communication” with the captives, and expressed his fear that the kidnappers seized apolitical nuns because they “want to demonstrate that they show no mercy.”
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($124,738 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!