Vatican advances causes of 13 candidates for beatification
December 09, 2013
The Congregation for the Causes of Saints has advanced the causes of 13 candidates for beatification.
With the approval of Pope Francis, on December 8 the Congregation issued a series of decrees:
- certifying a miracle through the intercession of Giovannina Franchi (1807- 1872), an Italian religious, who is now eligible for beatification;
- attesting to the martyrdom of Mario Vergara, an Italian missionary priest; and Isidoro Ngei Ko Lat, a Burmese lay catechist, who were killed in Myanmar in 1950; the two are now also eligible for beatification;
- proclaimed the “heroic virtue” of 10 candidates, who will now qualify for beatification if a miracle is attributed to their intercession:
- Maurice Garrigou (1766-1852), a French priest;
- Clemens Fuhl (1874- 1935), a German priest;
- Marcell of the Virgin of Carmel (1887-1966), a Hungarian Carmelite priest;
- Romano Bottegal (1921- 1978), an Italian Cistercian priest;
- Rosalie Cadron-Jette (1794- 1864), a Canadian religious;
- Maria Rosa Teresa Gay Tibau (1813- 1884), a Spanish religious;
- Maria Oliva of the Mystical Body (1893-1976), an Italian religious;
- Orsola Mezzini (1853-1919), an Italian religious;
- Maria Scolastica of Divine Providence (1897-1987), an Italian religious; and
- Raffaele Cordero Molina (1790-1868), a Puerto Rican layman.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!