Vatican advances causes of 13 candidates for beatification
Catholic World News - December 09, 2013
The Congregation for the Causes of Saints has advanced the causes of 13 candidates for beatification.
With the approval of Pope Francis, on December 8 the Congregation issued a series of decrees:
- certifying a miracle through the intercession of Giovannina Franchi (1807- 1872), an Italian religious, who is now eligible for beatification;
- attesting to the martyrdom of Mario Vergara, an Italian missionary priest; and Isidoro Ngei Ko Lat, a Burmese lay catechist, who were killed in Myanmar in 1950; the two are now also eligible for beatification;
- proclaimed the “heroic virtue” of 10 candidates, who will now qualify for beatification if a miracle is attributed to their intercession:
- Maurice Garrigou (1766-1852), a French priest;
- Clemens Fuhl (1874- 1935), a German priest;
- Marcell of the Virgin of Carmel (1887-1966), a Hungarian Carmelite priest;
- Romano Bottegal (1921- 1978), an Italian Cistercian priest;
- Rosalie Cadron-Jette (1794- 1864), a Canadian religious;
- Maria Rosa Teresa Gay Tibau (1813- 1884), a Spanish religious;
- Maria Oliva of the Mystical Body (1893-1976), an Italian religious;
- Orsola Mezzini (1853-1919), an Italian religious;
- Maria Scolastica of Divine Providence (1897-1987), an Italian religious; and
- Raffaele Cordero Molina (1790-1868), a Puerto Rican layman.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($120,221 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!