Uncertainty mounts about priest who disappeared in Syria
Catholic World News - July 31, 2013
While Church officials in Syria are increasingly concerned about a Jesuit priest who has been reported kidnapped, some activists told the Italian ANSA news agency that Father Paolo Dall’Oglio has not been abducted.
Father Dall’Oglio, who was expelled from Syria last year because of his remarks criticizing the Assad regime, has quietly returned to the country several times, to negotiate the release of hostages held by rebel groups. He apparently entered Syria recently to seek the release of a television crew being held by an Islamic faction.
According to some reports, Father Dall’Oglio was himself seized by the Islamists. Other witnesses say that the Jesuit priest deliberately broke off all contacts in order to pursue his negotiations with the rebel group. Archbishop Mario Zenari, the apostolic nuncio in Syria, conceded that he could not confirm the priest’s kidnapping. But evidently convinced that Father Dall’Oglio had indeed been seized, he told Vatican Radio that the priest’s plight fits into a sad pattern of kidnappings, which constitute “a painful wound inflicted on the Syrian nation and its people.”
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our September expenses ($20,491 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!