Were Vatican officials aware of accusations against Scottish cardinal?
CWN - March 01, 2013
A newspaper in Scotland has alleged that Vatican officials had long been aware of complaints of "inappropriate conduct" lodged by priests against Cardinal Keith O'Brien.
The Scotsman said that a priest had written to Rome many months ago to complain about the cardinal's behavior. The newspaper did not cite any witnesses to substantiate the report, or name any Vatican officials who may have seen the priest's complaint. "His claim is said to have been taking seriously," the Scotsman reported, without identifying anyone involved in the story.
Cardinal O'Brien resigned earlier this week, and announced that he would not take part in the upcoming papal conclave. The Scotsman said that the cardinal's resignation was arranged in "a 'deal' brokered by Cardinal Marc Ouellet of Montreal." (Cardinal Ouellet is the prefect of the Congregation for Bishops. He was previously the Archbishop of Quebec City, not Montreal.)
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach five million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our final 2013 goal ($26,054 to go, assuming receipt of matching funds):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!