Seized land returned to Eastern Orthodox seminary in Turkey
Catholic World News - January 18, 2013
The Council of Foundations of Turkey's Directorate General for Foundations has returned 470 acres of land to Halki seminary, which graduated nearly 1,000 priests for the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople between 1844 and 1971.
In 1971, the Turkish government ordered the seminary closed in accord with the nation’s 1961 constitution, which states that “only the Turkish Armed Forces and police are allowed to open private colleges.” Despite the return of the property, the seminary remains closed.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($27,707 to go):