Philadelphia: 3 suspended priests cleared, 5 found unfit for ministry
Catholic World News - May 04, 2012
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia has cleared 3 priests of sex-abuse charges and found 5 others unsuited for ministry, Archbishop Charles Chaput announced on May 4, as he explained the resolution of cases involving 26 priests who were suspended from ministry last year.
The archbishop told a Friday-afternoon press conference that a full investigation has been completed in nearly all of the priests’ cases. Several cases are still being examined by law-enforcement officials. In the other cases, the archdiocesan investigation has concluded and the results will be released after the archdiocesan review board has weighed the evidence.
"The process of reviewing these cases was designed to ensure that the decisions announced today reflect our commitment to protect children, assist victims, restore the integrity of the priesthood and provide evidence to the broader community that they can have confidence in these outcomes," said Archbishop Chaput. He said that the priests who have been found unsuited for ministry—because abuse allegations were found creditable—will have the opportunity to appeal to the Vatican. If their appeals are not upheld, they may be laicized or directed to live a life of prayer and penance.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach five million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our April expenses ($18,914 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!