Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Anglican prelate offers to drop sex-abuse complaint with Australian Catholic archdiocese

Catholic World News - November 04, 2011

Anglican Archbishop John Hepworth has offered to drop complaints of sexual abuse against Catholic clerics if the Adelaide archdiocese will help him to re-enter the Catholic Church.

Archbishop Hepworth, the head of the Traditional Anglican Communion, revealed earlier this year that he was sexually abused while he was a Catholic seminarian. He has expressed keen disappointment in the failure of the Adelaide archdiocese to pursue an investigation of his complaints. But he said that he would drop his complaint if the archdiocese would acknowledge the gravity of his report.

The Anglican prelate told reporters that he had not consented to the public identification of one of his accused molesters. An Australian legislator, Senator Nick Xenophone, used his parliamentary privilege to announce that Msgr. Ian Dempsey was the only survivor among the three priests accused by Hepworth.

Additional sources for this story
Some links will take you to other sites, in a new window.

An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:

Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!

Progress toward our July expenses ($17,160 to go):
$35,000.00 $17,840.29
49% 51%
Sound Off! CatholicCulture.org supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

Show 2 Comments? (Hidden)Hide Comments
  • Posted by: Gaby - Nov. 05, 2011 3:56 PM ET USA

    Why would he make these two issues interdependent? There's a proper proceedure for re-entering the Church and nobody can "help" him with it: he simply needs to confess his sin and satisfy whatever obligations canon law imposes. And nobody (hopefully) is going to put up uncessary barriers just because he filed complaints of sexual assault.

  • Posted by: Salome - Nov. 04, 2011 5:20 PM ET USA

    Blimey! Is it THAT hard to get a priest to hear your confession in Adelaide? I'd have thought that was all he'd need to return to Mama, if that's what he really wants.

Subscribe for free
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Recent Catholic Commentary

Straws in the Wind 23 hours ago
Hans Urs von Balthasar on Renewal that Matters July 25
Wrongheaded diocesan legal defenses in abuse cases July 24
New HHS Mandate must truly eliminate complicity July 23
Self-Esteem: Beyond Pop Psychology July 23

Top Catholic News

Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
New management, new changes coming for reformed Vatican bank CWN - July 8
Sweeping reforms to Vatican's media, financial operations CWN - July 9
‘Even Genghis Khan didn’t do this’: Mosul emptied of Christians CWN - July 21