Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Adelaide archdiocese again under fire in abuse case

Catholic World News - September 27, 2011

The Archdiocese of Adelaide, Australia has rejected charges that officials there tried to cover up sexual abuse at a local school for disabled children.

The Australian ABC television network, in an investigation aired on the Four Corners program, revealed that archdiocesan officials had not taken prompt action against the late Brian Perkins, a bus driver who was charged with molesting children at St. Ann’s Special School in the 1980s.

Archbishop Philip Wilson of Adelaide conceded that an internal investigation had shown problems in the handling of the Perkins case. "People made wrong decisions, they did not see or respect the urgency and seriousness of the matter and failed to carry out proper processes to protect the children and the needs of the families involved,” he said. But he denied that a deliberate cover-up had been organized.

The Four Corners program claimed, however, the lawyers had advised archdiocesan officials not to put anything about the case in writing, in order to avoid legal liability.

A spokesman for the archdiocese said that the case has no immediate bearing on current affairs, since the Church has adopted new standards for reporting and investigating charges of sexual abuse.

The Adelaide archdiocese has already been on the defensive because of revelations that in 2008 the Anglican Archbishop John Hepworth had reported being abused while he was a Catholic seminary student. The archdiocese did not take action on Hepworth’s complaints until this year, explaining that the Anglican leader had not authorized such action. The Melbourne archdiocese, however, had investigated the claims, issued an apology, and offered compensation.

Additional sources for this story
Some links will take you to other sites, in a new window.

An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:

Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!

Progress toward our July expenses ($33,493 to go):
$35,000.00 $1,507.00
96% 4%
Sound Off! CatholicCulture.org supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

There are no comments yet for this item.

Subscribe for free
Shop Amazon
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Recent Catholic Commentary

Making Moral Progress? 10 hours ago
Vatican statement clarifies duties of Catholic faithful after Obergefell decision July 2
Political battles vs. sacrificial service: The Brooks paradox revisited July 2
A Baptist leader with a message the Synod of Bishops should hear June 30
'Helpful' advice for social conservatives: ignore causes, deal with effects June 30

Top Catholic News

Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
Pope approves process for holding bishops accountable in abuse cases CWN - June 10
Pope Francis’ 2nd encyclical released (includes link to full text) CWN - June 18
US Supreme Court rules all states must recognize same-sex marriage CWN - June 26
Archbishop Nienstedt, auxiliary bishop resign CWN - June 15
Cardinal Kasper: Pope never approved my proposal CWN - June 4