Filipino bishops to discuss bribery charges
Catholic World News - July 04, 2011
The Catholic bishops of the Philippines have agreed that during their meeting in Manila this week, they will discuss charges that some bishops received favors from the government’s Charity Sweepstakes Office under the administration of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
Last week the former president of the Filipino bishops’ conference, Archbishop Oscar Cruz, the retired head of the Lingayen-Dagupan archdiocese, said that the conference should discuss the reports that some prelates had accepted luxury vehicles and cash gifts from the sweepstakes office. The current president of the episcopal conference, Bishop Nereo Odchimar of Tandag, has said that the question will be at the top of the agenda for this week’s meeting.
Meanwhile one bishop who acknowledges that he did receive money from the sweepstakes office says that the gift was entirely appropriate. “It was an honest-to-goodness assistance,” said Bishop Leopoldo Jaucian of Bangued, explaining that the government office had made legitimate charitable donations to the work of the diocese.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our July expenses ($15,942 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!