19 candidates cleared for beatification
CWN - June 27, 2011
The Congregation for the Causes of Saints has issued a series of decrees clearing the way for the beatification of 19 people, and attesting to the “heroic virtue” of 8 other candidates who may now be beatified if a miracle is attributed to their intercession.
The decrees—which were issued by Cardinal Angelo Amato, with the authorization of Pope Benedict XVI—fell into three categories:
- First, the Congregation certified miracles attributed to the intercession of four people, whose beatifications can now be scheduled:
- Mariano Arciero (1707- 1788), an Italian diocesan priest;
- Jean-Joseph (1832- 1869), born Alcide Lataste, a French Dominican priest;
- Maria Ines-Teresa of the Blessed Sacrament Arias Espinosa Church (1904-1981), born Manuela de Jesus, a Mexican religious; and
- Hildegard Burjan (1883-1933), a German lay woman.
Next the Congregation proclaimed the martyrdom of the following, who are also eligible for beatification:
- Salvio Huix Miralpeix, the Bishop of Lleida, Spain, who was killed in the Spanish Revolution in 1936;
- Karl Lampert, an Austrian priest who was killed in 1944; and
- Josefina Martinez Perez, a Daughter of Charity, and 12 companions who were killed in 1936, also in the Spanish Revolution.
- Finally, the Congregation attested that the following lived lives of heroic virtue:
- Giovanni Marinoni (1490-1562), an Italian priest;
- Jose Maria Garcia Lahiguera (1903-1989), a Spanish archbishop;
- Matthew Kadalikattil (1872-1935), an Indian priest;
- Raffaele Dimiccoli (1887-1956), an Italian priest;
- Sofia Czeska-Maciejowska (1584-1650), a Polish religious;
- Maria Giuseppina Benvenuti (1845/46-1926), a Sudanese religious;
- Laura Meozzi (1873-1951), an Italian religious; and
- Luigia (Gina) Tincani (1889-1976), an Italian religious.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach five million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our April expenses ($26,011 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!