Continued: media debate beatification of John Paul II
April 28, 2011
The media debate on the beatification of Pope John Paul II continues.
- Time magazine quotes representatives of sex-abuse victims, who see the ceremony as an additional insult, charging that the late Pope did nothing to address the scandal. The Time story also quotes CWN editor Phil Lawler in defense of the Pontiff and of his beatification.
- Jason Berry, whose reporting helped to unveil the scandal and to expose the double life of the late Father Marcial Maciel, makes a similar charge in an essay for The Nation. Berry reminds readers that in the 1980s, Father Tom Doyle sought to warn the Vatican about the crisis--to no avail.
- Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne takes an entirely different approach. He argues that if Pope John Paul II merited a "fast-track" beatification, the same urgency should be given to the cause of Pope John XXIII, who was beatified in 2000 and now is a candidate for canonization.
- Pope John Paul's Path to Sainthood: A Rush to Judgment? (Time)
- The Shame of John Paul II: How the Sex Abuse Scandal Stained His Papacy (Nation)
- It’s time to fast-track sainthood for Pope John XXIII (Washington Post)
Posted by: Obregon -
Apr. 29, 2011 1:23 AM ET USA
The media can say whatever they want to say. A media that has practically ignored Obama and his failures to no end, has no credibility to say anything bad about a saint. Shame on the descendants of the rabble who once stood at the foot of the cross and shouted "Crucify Him!" How quickly the media forgets that 3 million people were present at the funeral of one of the greatest popes in the history of the Church!
Posted by: Don Vicente -
Apr. 28, 2011 9:22 PM ET USA
Re The Washington Post article by E.J. Dionne: He loves John XXIII and is horrified by Pius IX. It's a little-known fact that John XXIII originally envisioned the canonization of Pius IX as a highlight of his planned Council! Plans changed slightly, though...
Posted by: AgnesDay -
Apr. 28, 2011 8:17 PM ET USA
As Mickey told Rocky, "Let'em talk while they can talk." It galls the media beyond all measure that they do not run the Catholic Church.