July 02, 2015 9:45 AM Political battles vs. sacrificial service: The Brooks paradox revisited By Dr. Jeff Mirus
My colleague Phil Lawler has identified a problem in David Brooks’ tactical recommendations for social conservatives (see ’Helpful’ advice for social conservatives: ignore causes, deal with effects). I agree that there...
June 29, 2015 6:20 PM The political outlook after Obergefell By Phil Lawler
Now what? Now that same-sex marriage is a reality throughout the US—or rather, the legal fiction of same-sex marriage is mandated in every state—what’s next? It should be evident already that the Obergefell decision...
July 02, 2015 Vatican statement clarifies duties of Catholic faithful after Obergefell decision By Phil Lawler
Twelve years ago, the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith anticipated the possibility that some states might recognize same-sex marriage, and said: In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally...
July 03, 2015 Making Moral Progress?
Reactions to the US Supreme Court decision in favor of same-sex marriage vary widely. For example, Phil Lawler and I have both commented on David Brooks' suggestion in the New York Times that Christians would be wise to put their energies...
- Pray for a miracle at the October Synod, Pope asks massive congregation in Ecuador
- Pope Francis begins 9-day journey to South America
- Pope urges charismatic Catholics to work for Christian unity, warns against authoritarianism
- Pope Emeritus Benedict speaks on sacred music
- Islamic militant group tells Christians: leave Jerusalem or risk death
- Greek debt crisis shows weakness of European Union based only on finance, Vatican newspaper argues
- Oregon official confirms: bakery owners must pay $135K over same-sex wedding cake
- See more headlines! (News homepage)
Ordinary Time: July 7th
According to the 1962 Missal of St. John XXIII the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite, today is the feast of Sts. Cyril and Methodius. Their memorial in the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite is celebrated on March 7. Today is also the... More
Includes prayers, readings, family activities and recipes for the day.
June 24, 2015 Nativity of St. John the Baptist: A Family Feast By Jennifer Gregory Miller
As the day of the Solemnity of the Birth of St. John the Baptist comes to a close, our domestic church hasn't seen too much of physical feast day celebration, as we are saving up the treats for after dinner. Following the...
June 15, 2015 Henri de Lubac's fascinating notes on Vatican II By Dr. Jeff Mirus
Here I explore the notes made by the French theologian Henri de Lubac as he prepared for and participated in the Second Vatican Council. I will gradually add revealing excerpts and comments from successive stages of de Lubac’s...