May 16, 2013 3:15 PM What capitalists should learn from the Pope's critique By Phil Lawler
By the end of the day I expect to hear at least a half-dozen complaints that Pope Francis has sided with socialists, because of his Thursday address denouncing the “cult of money.” The same problem arises whenever a...
May 14, 2013 9:59 PM Is Invoking the Saints Dangerous? By Dr. Jeff Mirus
While still an Anglican, Blessed John Henry Newman had some trouble coming to a Catholic appreciation of the role of the saints in Christian life. He seems to have understood from the first that the saints were wonderful witnesses to...
May 17, 2013 Learning from the sick, and from the death of a child By Phil Lawler
This past Tuesday we buried Sheila Catherine Beirne, a sweet 6-year-old girl who succumbed to Leigh’s Disease. The Beirnes are a big happy Catholic family, with a deep faith and a wide circle of friends. The church was packed for the...
May 16, 2013 The Smell of the Sheep
This Friday Insights message comes to you on Thursday because I will be helping a son move to New York City tomorrow. What strikes me most this week is this: Pope Francis has done it again and again! Our new pope keeps expressing...
- Dublin's archbishop, Irish prime minister clash on proposed abortion law
- Escalating violence in Nigeria; prominent Protestant pastor murdered
- Vatican envoy: consumerism, attitudes towards women help foster human trafficking
- Failure to repent sin is fundamental problem, Pope tells congregation
- Cardinal Dolan not questioning governor's Catholic standing, spokesman says
- New Hampshire diocese settles case about priest's questions to boy in confessional
- Syrian prelate: ‘tolls’ extracted by rebels have dramatically increased price of food
- See more headlines! (News homepage)
Easter: May 19th
And when the days of Pentecost were drawing to a close, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a violent wind coming, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there... More
Includes prayers, readings, family activities and recipes for the day.
May 16, 2013 Abstinence-Only Sex Education: A Caution By Dr. Jeff Mirus
Being a 65-year-old curmudgeon, I sometimes have to be reminded that social media has its uses, despite the fact that CatholicCulture.org maintains two different Facebook pages (see www.facebook.com/catholicculture and...